Sunday, September 18, 2011

And So It Begins...

Glory, hallelujah! I started down this road almost exactly two years ago, signing up for the Foreign Service written exam on 9/11/09 and arriving in DC 9/10/11 as a member of the 163rd A-100 orientation class. I continually reassured my hubby, D, that there was no way I'd ever get through the whole process, but as time and hurdles passed, I wanted it more and more. And miraculously, the world's most supportive husband went along with this crazy scheme!

So I got here a week ago yesterday and have survived an entire week of suits, closed-toe shoes, and an instant community of 93 A-100 classmates. Others in my class have summarized the events better than I have (will try to link to their blogs once I figure out how), so I'll just share a bit of the culture shock.
  • Bureaucracy: I've been working for the federal government for 9+ years, so the number of acronyms and forms is not a problem. There is a fair amount of protocol to learn, which will keep me on my toes (or feet, anyway, when an ambassador enters or leaves the room).
  • Housing: Living in a furnished corporate apartment in the hinterlands of suburban Virginia is downright weird. Something I need to get used to, apparently, since housing at most posts overseas is government provided and furnished. I'll probably look back fondly on the luxurious Oakwood Falls Church some day...
  • Singledom: I've left behind my Hawaii family and friends. D, the dogs, and the cat; my best buddy, J, and her dog; a lot of beloved colleagues (and maybe a few I won't miss that much); the beaches; the house; the ahi poke... I hope that D and the critters will join me in April or at post, whichever comes first. A fair number of my classmates have also left their S.O.s to keep earning, man the fort, or close up shop. I will be getting a loaner cat next weekend; hope that's not a huge mistake that Harriet will hold against me forevermore.
  • Clothing: I have to wear suits. And shoes that enclose my entire foot. Waaah! I believe this may be enforced only for the six weeks of A-100, because many of the folks roaming the halls of the Foreign Service Institute are wearing normal clothes. I even saw some slippahs!
  • Colleagues: Wow, you thought I have a strong personality? Loads of super smart and talented people, but there's a lot of generals and not many privates. I'm hoping we can all mellow out a little; I think it's better already. Next week we have a two-day team-building trip. That'll probably make us all more comfortable and relaxed.
  • Classes: I've been out of school for a while, but as a perpetual student, this doesn't bother me a bit. We're in a classroom, scrunched in ludicrously tight, 8:30 to 5 most days of the week, and all the sessions are fascinating (at least so far).
We got the list of available entry-level positions on Wednesday, so research is the name of the game. This week we'll turn in our bidding preference documents (listing what criteria we'd like the career development officer to consider in assigning us), and next week the list of positions, with each post marked high, medium, or low. I'll have a quickie French test this week to see if I have any hope of qualifying right away for a French-speaking post or need additional instruction.

I'm completely happy with the decision to join the Foreign Service. If I could have D and the pets here, all would be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment