Sunday, October 2, 2011

This and That from Week 3

Two great happenings this last week:
1) My old work email got shut off on Friday! Moving 6000 miles, living in a corporate apartment, being away from family and pets--none of that made it sink in, but having the old email account go away really drove this change home. Yea!
2) I ran clear around a lake (just under 5 miles) on a trail, starting in the ankle-wrenching dark. All the other runners beat me back by at least 15 minutes, but I did it!

Other cool stuff since my last update? We spent two whole work days out in the country wearing regular clothes - no suits! It was leadership and team building and it defied your expectations of what that entails. Without violating non-disclosure agreements, perhaps I can tell you that there were mild explosives and the challenges reminded me a bit of my fave, Amazing Race.

Today I was dragged kicking and screaming out of my apartment (yesterday consisted solely of bad, recent movies on TV and catching up with Castle online) to attend the Turkish festival and hit some museums in DC. Warhol Headlines at National Gallery of Art, a quick peek at the photo I contributed to the Oceans Hall at the Natural History Museum, and a reprise of the Nam June Paik exhibit. Much better than more TV, although I'll never get caught up on Project Runway at this rate.

Week four starts tomorrow. Flag Day is at the end of week five, so it's just a matter of surviving until then. Lots of lectures about policy and interagency responsibilities. Should be absolutely fascinating...

For those of you considering a career in the Foreign Service, you need to be invited to a class by the time you're 59 (check the fine print on that yourself if you're close). The next FSOT (Foreign Service Officer Test) is administered October 1-8, so it may be too late if you haven't already registered. They offer it three times a year. Go read up: http://www.careers.state.gov/officer/

No comments:

Post a Comment